Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] Mac OSX new MacBook Pro

From: Mike Savory <msavory-shark@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 29 Oct 2006 11:10:27 -0800
In the link below it says
> You can reproduce the same problem with tcpdump which comes
> with MacOS X. So its not wireshark being at fault.

On my new core 2 duo Macbook pro I can use tcpdump with no problem so something has changed.

$ sudo tcpdump -V
tcpdump version 3.9.4
libpcap version 0.9.4

> TShark 0.99.3a

Kills the wireless

Regards

Mike

On Oct 28, 2006, at 11:45 PM, Stephen Fisher wrote:

On Sat, Oct 28, 2006 at 05:35:22PM -0700, Mike Savory wrote:

When running Wireshark the wireless network dies as soon as you open a
"List the available Capture Interface" window the wireless connection
dies.

Has anyone else seen this on Intel Macs? Or is it perhaps a function
of the drivers for the "Pre-802.11n" Athereos chipset used in the
newest Macs??

Yep, it's a known issue with the new Mac's operating system apparently.
From the mailing list archives:

http://article.gmane.org/gmane.network.wireshark.user/333/ match=macbook+wireless

Steve