Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] Problems compiling a statically linked wireshark binary on

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2006 00:14:23 -0700
Sean Macleod wrote:

static binaries are a problem for Solaris

Completely static binaries are problems on other OSes as well, e.g. Mac OS X. (For both Solaris and OS X, at least part of the goal is probably to make the system call interface *NOT* part of the ABI, so the binary system call interface can be changed as long as the "C library" - libc on Solaris, libSystem on OS X - is changed to match and the routines in that library don't change *their* ABI.)

Unfortunately, I don't think there's a standard way to provoke UN*X linkers to link statically with some libraries and dynamically with others. I'm not sure whether there's a way to get libtool to handle that.