Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] tcp segment of a reassembled pdu

From: "Small, James" <JSmall@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2006 11:59:00 -0400
Title: tcp segment of a reassembled pdu

Dave,

It’s hard to say without more information but two areas that I have found to make a significant difference in Internet performance are looking at the MTU/MSS and adjusting the TCP receive window up (sometimes enabling window scaling).  Especially on high speed Internet Circuits (100 Mbps and up), my experience has been that if you do not adjust the TCP receive window up you often do not utilize the full bandwidth.

From what you said below though, you first might want to look at the minimum MTU through the entire path.  For TCP, if the MSS is too high you will get segments spread over multiple packets which sounds like what you have below.  Is your firewall or Cisco router adjusting the MSS?  This is not unusual.  Sometimes though the remote end will ignore the MSS option and assume that it can use whatever MSS it wants (usually up to 1460).  This can cause performance issues.  You might want to sniff traffic before the firewall and after the Cisco router to see if there are any alterations to the TCP SYN packet and also to the reply SYN packet from the remote end.

If you have never dived into TCP tuning before my favorite book is still Steven’s TCP/IP Illustrated, Volume I although it is getting a bit dated and is UNIX orientated.  Depending on what Operating System(s) you are using, perhaps someone could recommend something else.

You might also find some of the following sites of interest:

http://www.speakeasy.net/speedtest/

http://www.speedtest.net/

http://miranda.ctd.anl.gov:7123/

http://www.psc.edu/networking/projects/tcptune/