Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] Windows installer bug: Users shouldn't have to accept GNU

From: "ronnie sahlberg" <ronniesahlberg@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 15 Oct 2006 06:07:21 +0000
Thanks for slashdoting us.

I dont think anyone here cares what slasdot people may speculate on
regarding their thoughts on how GPL works or about displaying the GPL
when installing software.

The current wireshark behaviour with displaying the GPL and having an
ACCEPT button is perfectly fine and is unlikely to change.

And yes. Users HAVE TO accept the GPL either implicitely or
explicitely since the GPL is the only thing that makes it legal for
the user to use and redistribute the software.

Users that violate the GPL gets their rights to use the GPLed work
revoked and such a user would never be able to start using wireshark
again or redistribute it.
Since the consequences to a user that violates the GPL are so severe,
it would be a great disservice to the user if the GPL is not clearly
displayed to the user and that the user has to click that button so
that the user is aware of his/her rights and responsibilities.

Could you please describe WHY accepting the GPL is a problem for you
and your users and WHY you think users should not be informed about
the GPL?

What useage pattern do you have in mind where having to accept the GPL
licence is such a major problem?

best regards
ronnie s

On 10/15/06, Shawn Willden <shawn-wireshark@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Friday 22 September 2006 03:23, Jaap Keuter wrote:
> On another note, the License also speeks about warranty in clauses 11 en
> 12. I don't mind the person installing agreeing to that.

I submitted an Ask Slashdot question about the use of the GPL as a
click-wrap
agreement, and one of the comments there pointed out how the FSF recommends
this issue be addressed.

At http://www.gnu.org/copyleft/gpl.html#SEC4 there's a "How to Apply These
Terms to Your New Programs" guide.  It suggests that software display a
notice similar to this one:

"Gnomovision version 69, Copyright (C) year name of author
Gnomovision comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY; for details
type `show w'.  This is free software, and you are welcome
to redistribute it under certain conditions; type `show c'
for details."

This is short and simple enough that users will read it -- in fact it's much
more likely that they'll understand it is Free Software than if they're
required to read the GPL text -- it makes clear that there is no warranty,
and it provides instructions on how to get more information.  Obviously, the
nature of the instructions would have to change for wireshark.

Another poster on slashdot mentioned that some other GPL packages have also
taken the approach of replacing the "I Accept" and "Cancel" buttons with a
single button that says "Cool!", or "Great!".

I think the combination of these two ideas is excellent, and addresses all
of
my concerns.

If there's a consensus that an installer that follows such an approach would
be accepted, I'll be happy to implement the changes and provide a patch.

Thanks,

 Shawn.

P.S. For anyone who is interested, the slashdot discussion is at
http://ask.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=06/10/14/232217