Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] Lost packets can not ping mymachineonmynetwork

From: Jeff Morriss <jeff.morriss@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 15 Oct 2006 09:40:16 +0800

ronnie sahlberg wrote:
Why would an operating system allow you to disable ICMP?

ICMP has no security issues and IS a vital part of what keeps TCP/IP
working properly.

I remember a while ago there was a thing that went around called the "ping of death". Googling for that found:

http://insecure.org/sploits/ping-o-death.html

Of course that was years and years ago, but I imagine some people still remember (or are paranoid to the point where they don't mind breaking some things).