Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] Lost packets can not ping mymachineonmynetwork

From: "ronnie sahlberg" <ronniesahlberg@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 14 Oct 2006 04:10:28 +0000
Why would an operating system allow you to disable ICMP?

ICMP has no security issues and IS a vital part of what keeps TCP/IP
working properly.

Allowing users to configure/disable this is as silly as when clueless
firewall admins block all ICMP and then wonder why their users have
problem accessing the network and browsing the internet.