Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] Using these mailing lists

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2006 16:45:32 -0700

On Oct 12, 2006, at 8:38 AM, Turner, Jay wrote:

Sorry for my ignorance, but how do I use these mailing lists effectively? I can at least send messages (since this is here 8^)).

1. How do I properly reply to my message or another’s in my Inbox? a. If I use “Reply”, will the reply be added as the reply to the message or will it start it’s own thread?
That depends on the software that reads the message and the software that sends it. I don't know what the software that maintains the mailing list archives does, but if

	1) you don't change the subject line

or

	2) your mail software adds the appropriate In-reply-to header

most mail software will probably add it to the thread.
b. If it replies properly, would it still add the reply to the original message if I changed the Subject line?
See previous reply, and remove the "if you don't change the subject line" part. :-)

I.e., if your mail software adds an In-reply-to header, it'll be kept in the same thread by mail readers and probably most mail archivers.

(No, I don't know whether your mail software adds that header. If you reply to this message, I'll probably be able to tell from the reply.)

This is why, if somebody wants to start a *new* thread, they should ************NOT************* do it by replying to an unrelated message; for those of us who read our mail in a threaded fashion, this will cause the new message to show up in an unrelated thread.
2. When I navigate to the list (e.g. http://www.wireshark.org/lists/wireshark-users/200610) and view a message (e.g. msg12345.html) how do I reply to it?
As noted, you can't do it conveniently. You'd have to compose your own message by cutting and pasting the subject line and text (and, as it won't be a reply, there won't be an In-reply-to header, so don't change the subject line other than perhaps to add "Re:" if it's not already there).