Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] Using these mailing lists

From: Stephen Fisher <stephentfisher@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2006 15:22:47 -0700
On Thu, Oct 12, 2006 at 10:38:32AM -0500, Turner, Jay wrote:

> Sorry for my ignorance, but how do I use these mailing lists
> effectively? I can at least send messages (since this is here 8^)).
>
> 1. How do I properly reply to my message or another's in my Inbox?
> a. If I use "Reply", will the reply be added as the reply to the
> message or will it start it's own thread?

It will be added to the thread.

> b. If it replies properly, would it still add the reply to the
> original message if I changed the Subject line?

E-mail clients typically keep the thread going even when the subject is
changed by using the reply to <message id> header.

> 2. When I navigate to the list (e.g.
> http://www.wireshark.org/lists/wireshark-users/200610) and view a
> message (e.g. msg12345.html) how do I reply to it?
> a.	There are no "Reply" links in the html and the FAQs do not talk
> about how to reply.

You can't, unfortunately.  If you don't have that same message in your
mailbox still you will have to create a new message with a similar
subject to continue the discussion.

> 3.	How do I search the mailing list?
> a.	There are no "Search" links and the FAQs do not talk about
> searching the mailing list.

There are mailing list archives for each list at:

  http://www.wireshark.org/lists/

The Gmane one allows searching.

> b.	I used Google once and it happened to have a link into the
> mailing list. Is this the preferred method?

Preferred method to search the mailing list?

Steve