Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] Lost packets can not ping my machine on my network

From: Stephen Fisher <stephentfisher@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 8 Oct 2006 22:28:38 -0700
On Sun, Oct 08, 2006 at 03:43:23PM +0100, wrote:

> My problem is that I can not ping to M1 from M2 or M3 ??? but I can
> Ping M1 from M1 of course -- I can Ping M2 to M3 or vis versa works ..
> Ping M1 to M2 or M3 works as well

I assume all three machines are on the same IP subnet?  Can you make
connections from M2/M3 to M1 other than ping?

> But I do not know how to read the info & from what machine to what ..
> I pinged M2 to M1 and saw some bad check sums ?? I really need some
> help with this so I can attempt to solve this

Which machine were you running Wireshark/Ethereal on when you did the
ping?  Sometimes network cards process the checksums themselves and
incorrectly hand it to the operating system/network monitoring software
with an incorrect checksum so this may be a false alarm (or may not be).
Did you see the icmp echo go out of M2 and/or come in to M1?  It may be
helpful to run Wireshark/Ethereal on both M1 and M2 or M3 then ping back
and forth between them.  A proper ping will have an echo request from
source to destination then an echo reply the reverse direction.

Steve