Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] Hub and Switch

From: Stephen Fisher <stephentfisher@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 6 Oct 2006 23:28:42 -0700
On Thu, Oct 05, 2006 at 11:46:21PM -0400, Usman Qureshi wrote:

> What kind of packets will appear on ping_hub_B that will not show on
> ping_switch_B (both files are attached)? I am wondering, because I am
> thoroughly thrown off by the packets traversing in the network.

In each capture you start by pinging 192.168.0.105 from 104 and
receiving a response.  Then in the hub capture you ping the broadcast
address (.255) from .1 and receive a response only from .104.  In the
switch capture, you are pinging the broadcast address from .104 so it
wouldn't respond to its own broadcast ping and since no other devices
are responding to broadcast pings as evidenced by the hub capture, there
are no others to respond when pinging from .104.

Steve