Wireshark-users: [Wireshark-users] Hubs and Switches

From: "Usman Qureshi" <qureshi.usman@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 4 Oct 2006 18:48:59 -0400
Hello,

I have a questions regarding ICMP packets traversing through Hubs and Switches.  If connected on a Hub I ping the broadcast address (192.168.0.255) from a host machine ( 192.168.0.100) I get a response from the address 192.168.0.1 with destination address as 192.168.0.100.  How is this possible? I do not have machine with the broadcast IP address.

On the other hand, when connected through a switch I do not get any replies and only see request packets on Ethereal.

Can anyone explain this?

Thanks in advance!