Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] Arbitrarily labelling src / dst IPs?

From: "Simon Mullis" <simon@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2006 16:12:22 +0100
Yes - I know about this.

From the man page is specifies:

"        Name Resolution (hosts)
  If the personal hosts file exists, it is used to resolve IPv4
  and IPv6 addresses before any other attempts are made to
  resolve them.  The file has the standard hosts file syntax;
  each line contains one IP address and name, separated by
  whitespace. ***The same directory as for the personal
  preferences file is used***.
"

I'm sure I've tried using the standard windows hosts file previously
with no success...  I got the impression from the FAQ / Docs regarding
name resolution that Wireshark bypasses the standard methods and uses
its own resolver... Is this true?

Thanks

SM