Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] Arbitrarily labelling src / dst IPs?

From: Sake Blok <sake@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2006 16:46:04 +0200
On Wed, Sep 27, 2006 at 01:13:57PM +0100, Simon Mullis wrote:
> I start wireshark and load the dump with the IPs a.b.c.d and d.e.f.g
> (both RFC1918).
>
> The IPs are still IPs.  I then click "View -> Name Resolution -> Resolve Name"
>
> Nothing....

When I do this on XP, the names do appear, but only in the IP-details
on the "Packet Details" pane.

However, when I enable "network layer" name resolution and save
my preferences and then reload the trace, the names are visible in
all the panes. So you do have a way of getting the names on your
screen :)

Just like you I would've expected that selecting "Resolve Name" would
make the names for the currently selected frame visible on all panes.
Do we need to file this as a bug or is it "works as designed"?

Cheers,

Sake