Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] Windows installer bug: Users shouldn't have to accept GNU

From: Shawn Willden <shawn-wireshark@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 26 Sep 2006 08:56:05 -0600
On Friday 22 September 2006 03:23, Jaap Keuter wrote:
> Could you point us to the Q&A in the GPL FAQ discussing this issue? I've
> tried to locate it op http://www.fsf.org/licensing/licenses/gpl-faq.html
> but failed.

Sure.  See:

	http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#ClickThrough

> On another note, the License also speeks about warranty in clauses 11 en
> 12. I don't mind the person installing agreeing to that.

The lack of a warranty is information that should be conveyed to users, but
there's no reason to force them to agree to it, because there's no warranty
(insofar as local law allows) whether they agree or not.

If you're really concerned about this issue, you should probably focus on
making sure that other Wireshark installation tools also display information
about the lack of a warranty, because AFAIK, the Windows installer is the
only one that does.

	Shawn.