Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] Playing trace/capture file in tcpreplay and reading out w/

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2006 23:28:04 -0700
Netfortius wrote:
You're probably right - I do remember having been able to do something similar on Linux
Linux's loopback device has a link-layer type of Ethernet; the BSD one doesn't.
(not with wireshark
There's nothing Wireshark-specific about this; you'd probably see the same problem if you used tcpdump rather than Wireshark.
- but originating in tcpreplay - which defintely points the problem to this one), so it is probably a kernel modification and/or libnet problem with the BSD *under* MacOSX' hood ... :(
What you need is a version of tcpreplay that will at least try to translate Ethernet packet headers to BSD loopback packet headers; you're unlikely ever to see a version of OS X (or any other BSD) with loopback devices using a link-layer type other than BPF_NULL or BPF_LOOP.