Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] Installing Wireshark in Fedora Core 5

From: Jeff Morriss <jeff.morriss@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2006 09:50:57 +0800

Tara Parker wrote:
I am trying to install Wireshark and when I run the .rpm, I get the following message. I am extremely new at Linux (see drop dead stupid), and everything I've picked up so far has been on my own. I am not sure if I need to install all of these dependencies, or if there is some sort of package somewhere. I tried searching for some of them, but I'm not really seeing exactly what it says I need.
Error resolving dependencies

The following files will need to be installed:

libnetsnmp.so.10()(64bit)
libcrypto.so.6()(64bit)
libz.so.1()(64bit)
libgthread-2.0.so.0()(64bit)
libc.so.6(GLIBC_2.3)(64BIT)
libmodule-2.0.so.0()(64bit)
libcom_err.so.2.0()(64bit)
libglib-2.0.so.0()(64bit)
libgdk_pixbuf-2.0.so.0()(64bit)
libwiretap.so.0()(64bit)
libpthread.so.0()(64bit)
libcairo.so.2()(64bit)
libgcrypt.so.11()(64bit)
libc.so.6(GLIBC_2.3.4)(64bit)
libgtk-x11-2.0.so.0()(64bit)
libwireshark.so.0()(64bit)
libgpg-error.so.0()(64bit)
libk5crypto.so.3()(64bit)
libkrb5support.so.0()(64bit)
libgnutls.so.12()(64bit)
libpcre.so.0()(64bit)
libdl.so.2()(64bit)
libpango-1.0.so.0()(64bit)
libatk-1.0.so.0()(64bit)
libpangocairo-1.0.so.0()(64bit)
libc.so.6(GLIBC_2.2.5)(64bit)
libm.so.6()(64bit)
libc.so.6(GLIBC_2.4)(64bit)
libm.so.6(GLIBC_2.2.5)(64bit)
libpthread.so.0(GLIBC_2.2.5)(64bit)
libkrb5.so.3()(64bit)
libgobject-2.0.so.0()(64bit)
libpcap.so.0.9.4()(64bit)
libresolv.so.2()(64bit)
libwrap.so.0()(64bit)
libgdk-x11-2.0.so.0()(64bit)
libc.so.6()(64bit)

I would really appreciate any help on this.

Hmmm, what version of Linux are you using? And where did you get the Wireshark RPM?

If I had to make a wild guess (based on the fact the RPM says you're missing even libc!), you're trying to install a 64-bit Wireshark RPM (didn't know that existed!) on a 32-bit Linux.