Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] [Ethereal-users] HTTP Protocol

From: "Visser, Martin" <martin.visser@xxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2006 09:44:33 +1000
Usman,

My questions around overhead are really for you to answer. Once you
decide what you consider is overhead then you can do the appropriate
maths. My suggestion is to probably understand the protocol and
application interactions that you are interested, and possible draw the
flows and encapsulation.

You haven't really stated what purpose you need to know the "overhead".
All computer activity has overhead - usually the amount of overhead is a
tradeoff between being flexible and maintainable and costs in terms of
storage, processing and transmission. With the CPU, memory, storage and
bandwidth all becoming more capable there is a tendency to increase
overhead to make applications more capable.

Wireshark certainly aids you in understanding these characteristics in
an objective fashion, but unfortunately won't give you all the answers
unless you are able more clearly understand what you require.

Regards, Martin

Martin Visser

Technology Consultant
Consulting & Integration
Technology Solutions Group - HP Services

410 Concord Road
Rhodes NSW  2138
Australia

Mobile: +61-411-254-513
Fax: +61-2-9022-1800
E-mail: martin.visserAThp.com

This email (including any attachments) is intended only for the use of
the individual or entity named above and may contain information that is
confidential, proprietary or privileged. If you are not the intended
recipient, please notify HP immediately by return email and then delete
the email, destroy any printed copy and do not disclose or use the
information in it.