Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] [Ethereal-users] How does Ethereal interact with Fedora Co

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2006 11:26:14 -0700
Michael Cobb wrote:

At what OS level is displaying a capture from? I�m not a developer, but need to be certain that packets displayed by Ethereal are indeed being presented from the OS to an application that is running.

Wireshark (and Ethereal) capture traffic using the libpcap library; on Linux, that works by opening a "PF_PACKET socket", from which it receives the packets.

Packets delivered to a PF_PACKET socket aren't necessarily delivered to some other socket; they might be delivered to a networking protocol such as TCP or UDP, but that won't necessarily deliver them to a socket.

I am currently sniffing and seeing the packets in Ethereal. However the developer of the application has inserted debugging code to display when it receives those packets, but it does not acknowledge receiving them. I need to determine if this means the problem is OS related or application related.

It's *probably* application-related. Are the packets TCP, UDP, or some other protocol? Does the application have a socket open to receive those packets?