Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] Fatal: Could not acquire crypto context from Windows.

From: "Mike Noyce" <Mnoyce@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 8 Sep 2006 11:06:46 +0100
Title: Re: [Wireshark-users] Fatal: Could not acquire crypto context from Windows.

I have downloaded and installed Wireshark 0.99.3 on my Windows 2000 SP4 machine and it fails "silently" when I double-click on the Wireshark icon or run wireshark from the command prompt:

D:\>wireshark

D:\>

When I run tshark it also fails to run:

D:\>tshark
Fatal: Could not acquire crypto context from Windows.
D:\>

I have tried Wireshark 0.99.3 on a couple of other Windows 2000 SP4 machines (a laptop and a Virtual PC machine) and they do not having this problem. From what I can tell, this crypto context problem only occurs on machines that are members of a Windows 2000 Domain. This problem does not occur when using Wireshark 0.99.2.

Best Regards,

Mike Noyce

LEGAL DISCLAIMER

This e-mail and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed. However, any views or opinions presented are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of Chichester District Council.

If you are not the intended recipient or the person responsible for delivering the e-mail to the intended recipient, be advised that you have received this e-mail in error and that any use, dissemination, forwarding, printing or copying of this e-mail is strictly prohibited.

Communications on or through Chichester District Councils computer systems may be monitored or recorded to secure effective system operation and for other lawful purposes.

If you have received this e-mail in error please notify the Chichester District Council administrator.

E-mail or phone 44 (0) 1243 785166
Mail-Admin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx