Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] No TCP traffic

From: "ronnie sahlberg" <ronniesahlberg@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 7 Sep 2006 08:09:57 +1000
Since autonegotiate is unreliable :

If you use autonegotiate  there is a probability (small today) thet the peers will negotiate a duplex mismatch after each link up event.
This probability is small today but nonzero  and depends on timings inside the chipsets, cable length, noice, bad luck etc
Certain chipsets even today just can not negotiate properly and will even today get a near 1.0 probability of negotiating a mismatch.

If you always have everything forced to full duplex   there will never be any mismatches.

Forcing everything to full duplex takes a small amount of extra work to do  but makes the probability of a duplex mismatch zero.

On 9/7/06, Joerg Mayer <jmayer@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Thu, Sep 07, 2006 at 07:56:09AM +1000, ronnie sahlberg wrote:
> "Autoneg does fail sometimes."
>
> True.
> Autonegotiate is broken by design and one should never ever use
> autonegotiate.

That's a very broad statement. Let's just say I disagree: Acutally I
know of some medium to large installations, where autoneg is the default
by now. Btw, about 6 years ago I would have stated that autoneg causes
more problems than it solves - by now I think the other way round.

Ciao
      Joerg
--
Joerg Mayer                                           <jmayer@xxxxxxxxx>