Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] Odd packets

From: Ove Fagerheim <ove.fagerheim@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2006 14:44:55 +0200
Sorry 'bout the lack of info, just didn't want to be too lengthy in my first
posting.

I have two hosts, one with the ethereal, one ip phone and a Cisco plugged
into an 8 port 3Com hub. The Cisco has a VPN configured, that is the target
for all traffic. The Cisco then is plunged into an adsl network. The VPN is
connected to our corporate network.

As you say, the packets from the ethereal host shows up fine. But, if I,
from the other host, telnet a remote host (on the corporate net), say telnet
from 172.30.1.25 -> 10.1.1.10, I get these entries in Ethereal:

Source: 127.0.0.1, Dest 10.1.1.10 type: ICMP Echo Request with 10 bytes of
data.

Source: 127.0.0.1, Dest 172.30.1.25 type: ICMP Echo Request with 10 bytes of
data.

If I do a telnet from the ethereal host, the packets shows up correctly.

The same goes for all packets from the ip phone. They all shows up as ping
packets, although the phone does a successfull tftp download at startup.

I can see all broadcasts and non ip protocols normally, seems it's just ip
that is suffering.

Unfortunately I don't have enough practice with ethereal to see clearly
what's going on here.

Thank's for answering
Ove