Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] Stripping DOCSIS stuff out

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 9 Aug 2006 17:27:27 -0700

On Aug 9, 2006, at 3:30 PM, Frank Bulk wrote:

I'm using the Sigtek ST-261B to capture some PacketCable VoIP traffic, and I would really like to use a protocol analyzer other than Ethereal. There are others that can import libpcap files, but they don't understand the DOCSIS
stuff.

Is there a way I can strip the DOCSIS layer out so that the file becomes
acceptable?

Yes, but you'd have to write your own code to do it.

You'd also have to worry about reassembling Ethernet packets fragmented across multiple DOCSIS packets, as I understand it.