Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] SS7 over IP

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 4 Aug 2006 18:37:27 -0700

On Aug 3, 2006, at 5:22 PM, Alan B Francisco wrote:

Hello, this is Alan Francisco with Engage Communication.

Please tell me if there is a way for Ethereal to decode an
SS7 message (FISU, LSSU, or MSU) preceded by an Ethernet header, IP header, UDP header, and then a two-byte non-standard header.

Only if there's a protocol dissector for your non-standard header for SS7-over-UDP.

I assume from "FISU, LSSU, or MSU" that this is MTP2-over-UDP. The current version of Wireshark (Gerald moved to a new company, but the old company had the Ethereal name, so development is continuing at wireshark.org with the new name) doesn't have any MTP2-over-UDP encapsulations, so you'd have to write a dissector for your encapsulation and submit it to wireshark-dev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx in order for Wireshark to recognize it.

(BTW, Gerald, Gilbert, and I are all on the ethereal-users and wireshark-users lists; you don't need to send mail to us individually if you're sending it to the users lists.)