Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] Dissector for decoding WiMax MAC protocol

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 4 Aug 2006 18:11:55 -0700

On Aug 4, 2006, at 5:39 PM, Guy Harris wrote:

I assume the WiMax MAC protocol is such a protocol.

It appears to be one.

(By the way, is WiMax, to a first order of approximation, "DOCSIS with radio instead of cables"?)

If so, then, in
order to handle it in Wireshark, we'd have to add code in the Wiretap
library to recognize it in some capture file format that supports it -
and if the format you want for it is the native libpcap format, you'd
have to send mail to tcpdump-workers@xxxxxxxxxxx to request a link-
layer type value for WiMax.

So do you want to be able to capture WiMax traffic with Wireshark, or just to read existing capture files?

If you want to capture WiMax traffic with Wireshark, you'll need to arrange that, on at least one OS that Wireshark supports, you can use libpcap to capture WiMax traffic. That would mean you'd need to ask tcpdump-workers@xxxxxxxxxxx for a link-layer type for WiMax.

If you just want to read existing capture files, what file format are those capture files in?