Wireshark-users: [Wireshark-users] capture from a fifo

From: Richard van der Hoff <richardv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2006 11:43:15 +0100
Has wireshark stopped supporting capture from a fifo recently?

I'm sure I used to be able to do things like the following:

$ mkfifo fifo
$ (cat cap; sleep 5; cat cap) > fifo &
$ tshark -i fifo

But it now dies after the first batch of packets with "tshark: Error while capturing packets: Error reading from pipe: Resource temporarily unavailable".

Is this something that has changed recently? It's pretty useful for doing captures on remote boxes (which don't have wireshark installed) by piping the output of tcpdump over ssh.

Cheers

Richard

--
Richard van der Hoff <richardv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>