Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] Using Wireshark to capture signal strengthanddata rate for

From: "Craig Wicker" <CWicker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 2 Jul 2006 11:40:09 -0400
I had purchased Sniffer many, many years ago. The Cisco wireless driver came out around release 4.7.0; and to the best of my knowledge does not use WinPCap. I only use Sniffer's driver when wanting to see control info and such; otherwise, I unload the Sniffer wireless driver and reload the 'stock' software driver as found on the Cisco website. WireShark captures wireless data quite well on this card, and I'm not always wanting or needing to view control info, channel info, strength when those metrics are not the issue or objective at hand.
I would like to state from a user standpoint; I believe that particular  wireless card, with the Sniffer software driver to be more 'sensitive', if that is the correct term. I only use wireless at  one remote site on my network. That site houses a trade show, with many, perhaps upwards of  20 other wireless networks,  running wide open, at the same time. The Sniffer driver can 'see' networks four floors away [counted nine networks], the stock driver can only 'see' the adjacent  floor [counted three networks].  However, there may be a coupling effect,  all my wireless internetworking equipment are Cisco branded; 1200-series antennas, switches and routers and wireless cards. Perhaps, this may allow for the better 'sensitivity' mentioned earlier, when used with a driver designed for the single purpose of capturing wireless data.