Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] Major announcement

From: "ronnie sahlberg" <ronniesahlberg@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 8 Jun 2006 08:33:07 +0000
I dont think anyone is happy with the situation. Ethereal was a very
good name but things happen.

Do not attack Gerald for the situation. Sometimes situations arise
that are outside your control. For that matter, Gerald has put in a
very significant amount of hard work building the new website and make
sure everything is ready and up and running and so that the transition
for everyone should be as easy as possible. That all services, wiki,
buildbots, nightly-builds, bugzilla etc are available from day one on
the new site. Rebuilding the new website is an immense amount of work
and was NOT just click a button and the magic happens.
Gerald put an immense amount of work to make this transition as easy
and painless as possible for everyone.

Our award will probably be public humiliation and execution of
character when the mature slashdot crew discovers this. No one is
looking forward to that.
Dont flame us here. Slashdot will take care of all flaming that is required.

No one is happy about the situation but it is as it is so lets make
the best of it. It is unfortunate but reality interfered.

Its just a name.

For myself nothing at all changes. the tool is just a hobby where i
hack code to gain intellectual stimulation for my own personal
entertainment. As such I dont  care too much of the name or where it
is hosted.

If I were to choose I would have picked a shorter name with less
syllables that would be easier to pronounce. In particular if like me
speak english as a second/third language and have an accent so thick
none can understand you :-)

(colleagues ask you : how do you pronounce ethereal,   like this or
like that (the two examples from the faq).   I tell them how I
pronounce it.   They go

"hmm, ok, well, I dont recall there were a third alternative in the
pronounciation guide. Are you absolutely sure that is how it is
pronounced?"

Those jokes do get old quite quickly after the first few hundred
times. Trust me I have expert knowledge in that area.)

ronnie s

On 6/8/06, Jeff Morriss <jeff.morriss@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Erwin Rol wrote:
> On Wed, 2006-06-07 at 17:06 -0500, Gerald Combs wrote:

[...]

> All with all I think it is very disappointing how this was and still is
> handled, it some how seems that core-developers distrust the other
> developers and users.

I have to admit I was little shocked at first, too.  But I also doubt
Gerald and crew have meant to offend anyone nor do they distrust the
other developers and users.  One problem that sometimes arises, I think,
is that if the leader of an open project such as this one starts a
discussion in a public forum about a name change or fork or whatever a
massive discussion ensues with everyone and their brother offering an
opinion.  That's all fine and good but if the leader has already made up
his or her mind about it then everyone has just wasted their breath
and/or gets even more upset when the leader makes the change because
they think the leader has ignored their opinion.  In the end, the
project isn't a democracy.  People can discuss it before the change (if
it's announced beforehand) or after the change (as we are now), but how
much does it really matter which case is taken?