Wireshark-users: Re: [Wireshark-users] [Ethereal-dev] Major announcement

Date: Thu, 08 Jun 2006 10:21:55 +0200
On Thu, 2006-06-08 at 15:50 +0800, Jeff Morriss wrote:
> Erwin Rol wrote:
> > On Wed, 2006-06-07 at 17:06 -0500, Gerald Combs wrote:
>
> [...]
>
> > All with all I think it is very disappointing how this was and still is
> > handled, it some how seems that core-developers distrust the other
> > developers and users.
>
> I have to admit I was little shocked at first, too.  But I also doubt
> Gerald and crew have meant to offend anyone nor do they distrust the
> other developers and users.

I doubt that too, but sometimes certain actions are hard to explain
without the right information.

> One problem that sometimes arises, I think,
> is that if the leader of an open project such as this one starts a
> discussion in a public forum about a name change or fork or whatever a
> massive discussion ensues with everyone and their brother offering an
> opinion.

And that is a bad thing ? I think that's a vital part of a FOSS project.
The leaders also don't reject the help of those people. At least
informing the people would have giving them a choice to build an opinion
on the topic.

> That's all fine and good but if the leader has already made up
> his or her mind about it then everyone has just wasted their breath
> and/or gets even more upset when the leader makes the change because
> they think the leader has ignored their opinion.

Well the leader _did_ ignore all opinions, actually he ignored them so
bad that he didn't even bother ask for opinions.

>   In the end, the
> project isn't a democracy.  People can discuss it before the change (if
> it's announced beforehand) or after the change (as we are now), but how
> much does it really matter which case is taken?

so we should only "pay our tax" and shut up ? This is a great way to
cause a fork of a project.

So maybe instead of discussing a decision that is force onto us, we
maybe should now discusses on how we can prevent that the project
changes its name every time Gerald gets a new job, or otherwise has a
bad day.

- Erwin