Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] CARES to old for CentOS8?

From: John Thacker <johnthacker@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 30 Sep 2022 08:03:31 -0400
I agree with bumping the version in general, and I can agree that there are cases where increasing the minimum version saves a lot of headaches even if we don't need a new API call.

However, minimum version increases can mean effectively dropping support for a given Linux distribution (at least out of the box, and in a corporate environment changing things from "I need to bring in Wireshark and compile it in a local directory after installing packages from the official repository" to "and I also need to bring in some other libraries, and link against the local version instead of the installed version" can be a non-starter or at least complicated with security policies.)

I like to consider exactly which library changes will drop a distribution (see https://gitlab.com/wireshark/wireshark/-/wikis/Development/Support_library_version_tracking ) and in the particular case the gain from c-ares 1.14 vs 1.13 doesn't seem very large compared to dropping a fairly popular family of distributions, especially one that has a lot of use in corporate and server environments where security policies can be strict.

Making 3.6 is the last version that officially supports RHEL 8 derived distributions seems hasty to me.

John