Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] ISO 7816 vs GSM SIM dissector

From: Pascal Quantin <pascal@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 18 Aug 2021 13:56:19 +0200
Hi Stig,

Le mer. 18 août 2021 à 13:51, Stig Bjørlykke <stig@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> a écrit :
Hi,

Does anyone know the difference between the ISO 7816 dissector and the GSM SIM dissector?

For me it looks like they are handling the same PDUs, but both are incomplete in different ways.

You are correct. Both were done by different developers for different purposes (Martin added the generic ISO 7816 dissector after Harald added the GSM SIM one). SIM or USIM application is just one of the many applications that can run on a smartcard. Note that the 3GPP specs override the ISO specs, so the decoding of the elementary files could differ as far as I can remember (it has been a few years since I last played with those things).

Best regards,
Pascal.