Wireshark-dev: [Wireshark-dev] Question / nit / ocd trigger

From: Jason Cohen <kryojenik2@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 24 May 2021 10:21:45 -0500
One thing that has bothered me for years has been the TCP flags filters.

The 6 primary TCP flags are:
SYN
ACK
PSH
RST
URG
FIN

Then you get into the CWR, NS, ECE (ECN), etc...

The filters in Wireshark all use the accepted, known abbreviations save for RST and PSH.  Those are spelled out as tcp.flags.reset and tcp.flags.push.

Is there history, reasoning for this?  Should there be some level of consistency?  I certainly do not advocate for tcp.flags.acknowledgement or tcp.flags.syncronize.  However, I think it would be reasonable for reset and push to be replaced with "rst" and "psh" respectively.  Perhaps an alias to allow the spelled out filters to continue to work.

Regards,
Jason