Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] MR that commes up as "OK to Merge" fails pipline

From: Gerald Combs <gerald@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 21 Apr 2021 11:12:31 -0700
On 4/21/21 6:38 AM, Pascal Quantin wrote:
Hi Anders,

Le mer. 21 avr. 2021 à 15:34, Anders Broman via Wireshark-dev <wireshark-dev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:wireshark-dev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>> a écrit :

    Hi,____

    This MR https://gitlab.com/wireshark/wireshark/-/merge_requests/2178 <https://gitlab.com/wireshark/wireshark/-/merge_requests/2178> passed check but failed merge at the firsts attempt – the author then amended____

    It passed check and came up with a green merge button. It then fails pipeline. What should it have been done instead?

For some reason the MRs do not seem to run the Windows builder, unless Wireshark  Gitlab Utility rebases the change. This is not the first time I see this.
Gerald, is this some configuration setting that needs to be changed? Or only the Wireshark group can run the Windows builder?

GitLab's shared Windows runners don't let you specify a custom Docker image[1], and the image that they supply[2] is missing many of our prerequsities[3]. As a result I set up a "specific"[4] Windows runner for wireshark/wireshark, but as you point out this doesn't run for many of our detached merge requests. I haven't found anything definitive in GitLab's docs, but it looks like specific runners don't run detached merge requests unless it's initiated by a user with sufficient permissions.

We might be able to work around this by finding a way to quickly install our prerequisites on GitLab's standard image. IIRC the slowest ones are Qt, Strawberry Perl, and Python.

[1]https://docs.gitlab.com/ee/user/gitlab_com/index.html#limitations-and-known-issues
[2]https://gitlab.com/gitlab-org/ci-cd/shared-runners/images/gcp/windows-containers/blob/master/cookbooks/preinstalled-software/README.md
[3]https://gitlab.com/wireshark/wireshark-containers/-/blob/master/dev/windows/Dockerfile
[4]https://docs.gitlab.com/ee/ci/runners/#specific-runners