Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] (1) building Wireshark in build.wireshark fails, (2) how to

From: Vincent Randal <vtrandal@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 15 Apr 2021 09:10:46 -0600
Hi Pascal,

Where is the build log? I've since rebuilt Wireshark successfully in ./build as Graham wisely suggests. This thing is not easy to reproduce. There may be something unstable about my build environment on Ubuntu 18.04 if that even makes sense. What I do have is the build output to the terminal window. As I scroll back I can see the output shown below. It actually says "Built target qtui" which I reported incorrectly as failing to build qtui. Is there more than one qtui build target? Otherwise, the difference in build artifacts suggest that make did not have the same starting point or perhaps the same environment. As Graham suggests I won't trouble the group with things like this going forward, unless it seems important to do so.

Vincent

[In both cases the build directory is ./build.wireshare]
when make succeeds the build output prior to "Built target qtui" looks like this:
[ 70%] Building C object epan/dissectors/CMakeFiles/dissectors.dir/packet-s5066dts.c.o
[ 71%] Building C object epan/dissectors/CMakeFiles/dissectors.dir/packet-s7comm.c.o
[ 71%] Building C object epan/dissectors/CMakeFiles/dissectors.dir/packet-s7comm_szl_ids.c.o
[ 71%] Building C object epan/dissectors/CMakeFiles/dissectors.dir/packet-sadmind.c.o
[ 71%] Built target qtui
when make fails the build output prior to "Built target qtui" looks like this:
at the very end we get this:
[ 84%] Building CXX object ui/qt/CMakeFiles/qtui.dir/wlan_statistics_dialog.cpp.o
[ 85%] Building C object ui/qt/CMakeFiles/qtui.dir/wireshark-tap-register.c.o
[ 85%] Building CXX object ui/qt/CMakeFiles/qtui.dir/qtui_autogen/mocs_compilation.cpp.o
[ 85%] Building CXX object ui/qt/CMakeFiles/qtui.dir/qtui_autogen/EF4ICWSDIF/qrc_about.cpp.o
[ 85%] Building CXX object ui/qt/CMakeFiles/qtui.dir/qtui_autogen/NQCY4LEWD2/qrc_languages.cpp.o
[ 85%] Building CXX object ui/qt/CMakeFiles/qtui.dir/qtui_autogen/EF4ICWSDIF/qrc_layout.cpp.o
[ 85%] Building CXX object ui/qt/CMakeFiles/qtui.dir/qtui_autogen/EF4ICWSDIF/qrc_stock_icons.cpp.o
[ 85%] Building CXX object ui/qt/CMakeFiles/qtui.dir/qtui_autogen/EF4ICWSDIF/qrc_wsicon.cpp.o
[ 85%] Building CXX object ui/qt/CMakeFiles/qtui.dir/qtui_autogen/EJRQKI7XPS/qrc_i18n.cpp.o
[ 85%] Built target qtui
make: *** [all] Error 2
vtrandal@envy1vm6:~/Downloads/wireshark/build.wireshark$ cd ..