Wireshark-dev: [Wireshark-dev] (1) building Wireshark in build.wireshark fails, (2) how to get

From: Vincent Randal <vtrandal@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 15 Apr 2021 01:55:08 -0600
Hello,

(1)  building Wireshark in build.wireshark fails
The solution here is to use "build" as the name of the build directory and then make succeeds. Otherwise, if the build directory has some other name like build.wireshark then make fails at about 70% when building qtui.

Why do I want to name build as build.wireshark? Preference. Also, it also helps me to manage builds for other projects in the same parent directory.

[Is it okay to stick in another question here? Or should I post a separate new question?]

(2) how to get dissector details without packet
I see there is "Decode as ..." in the Analzye menu of Wireshark. That looks very useful. I think I can use that to get Wireshark to ... uh well ... decode an already decoded packet as something else.

But what about something that shows me what Wireshark thinks about a dissector even without a packet? Is that possible? Can Wireshark show me the details of a dissector without a packet to dissect? I think that might be hard or impractical to do. For those details I should look at the dissector source code or, even better, generate a packet.

Vincent