Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] How to build the simple ASN.1 UDP-based dissector example (f

From: Vincent Randal <vtrandal@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 13 Apr 2021 18:36:30 -0600
Guy,

I want keep my promise to update the Wireshark documentation for the simple ASN.1 UDP-based dissector example so that it more accurately reflects the current build method that starts with cmake. I will do a better job now with input and help I’ve received.

If it’s important not to break wireshark-2.6.20 then I will make my revisions conditioned on wireshark-3.4.4 and wireshark-2.6.20 tags and the wide array of operating systems you mentioned previously. I’ve have most OS’s except HP-UX.

Do you use Homebrew or MacPorts to configure your MacOS build environment for Wireshark development? It’s been awhile since I used either. Also, I wonder if there are issues with Qt vs XQuartz.

I sincerely appreciate the help I received today from many people.

Vincent Randal

On Tue, Apr 13, 2021 at 5:40 PM Guy Harris <gharris@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Apr 13, 2021, at 9:21 AM, Pascal Quantin <pascal@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> 13 avr. 2021 17:36:20 John Thacker <johnthacker@xxxxxxxxx>:
>
> > Depending on your build system, the other ASN.1 dissectors can be regenerated with either
> >
> > ninja asn1
> >   Or
> > make asn1
> >
> > without starting the full build process.
>
> Those commands will regenerate all the ASN.1 dissectors.

At least on my Mac, "ninja asn1" did "regenerate" them all (making no changes, according to "git status"), but when I tried it again in the same build directory, Ninja said "ninja: no work to do."