Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] How to build the simple ASN.1 UDP-based dissector example (f

From: John Thacker <johnthacker@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 13 Apr 2021 09:11:35 -0400
On Tue, Apr 13, 2021, 8:32 AM Vincent Randal <vtrandal@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hello everyone,

I need help building the simple ASN.1 UDP-based dissector example (foo); specifically, I need help building the generate_dissector-*proto* target (Step #6 below). I'm certainly missing something here.

(c) I created directory "foo" by extracting the attachment (foo.tgz) in epan/dissectors/asn1/
(d) There is a CMakeListsCustom.txt.example file in epan/dissectors/asn1 which already contains an entry for "foo".
(e) Since I don't know what to do in Step #6, I build Wireshare (using cmake), but no build targets get updated.

If the solution to this problem belongs in the Wireshark documentation, I would be glad to help update the documentation. Namely, I don't understand the usage of the 5 (five) CMakeListsCustom.txt.example files inWireshark source code.

The CMakeListsCustom.txt.example files are just that, examples. You need to copy or rename them to CMakeListsCustom.txt (without the .example) for them to have any effect (and edit them appropriately to add the dissector name to the list, not commented out.)

CMake is configured to look for the files by that name.

John Thacker