Wireshark-dev: [Wireshark-dev] Fwd: ASN.1 dissector Wireshark

From: Vincent Randal <vtrandal@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 10 Apr 2021 21:14:23 -0600
Greetings,  everyone. I’ve a question regarding:

I take this to mean Wireshark ASN.1 support might not be up to date going forward. Is that the meaning? ASN.1 has a long history. It makes sense periodically to freeze support for specific versions of ASN.1. Is that the meaning here (Changing the ASN1 file is being depreciated)? It says:

The compiler needs 4 input files: an ASN.1 description of a protocol, a .cnf file, and two template files. The ASN.1 specification may have to be edited to work, however work is in progress to at least read all ASN1 specifications. Changing the ASN1 file is being depreciated as this creates problems when updating protocols. The H.248 Binary encoding dissector is a good example of a dissector with relatively small changes.

Vincent