Wireshark-dev: [Wireshark-dev] general inquiry on building dissectors for wireshark-3.4.4

From: Vincent Randal <vtrandal@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 7 Apr 2021 10:27:24 -0600
Hello,

Where can I find a complete "text based" dissector example that builds with the current Wireshark cmake build method used in wireshark-3.4.4? Does that question even make sense? I fear most people reading my question won't understand what I'm after.

I've watched numerous YouTube videos by Graham Bloice and Richard Sharpe that describe 3 primary methods for Wireshark dissector development:
1. Text based
2. Scripting Language based
3. C based

In the meantime I have built wireshark-2.6.20 using the older ./autogen.sh, configure, make build method. This gives me hope I might have some success with at least 1 (one) text-based dissector example that uses that build method:

If I were an expert with cmake (which might be easier than I think) I would probably update the text-based examples to build using cmake. But I don't know how to do that (yet).

Vincent Randal
Longmont, CO