Wireshark-dev: [Wireshark-dev] 16 byte integer decoding

From: "Constantine Gavrilov" <CONSTG@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2021 20:35:26 +0200
During my work of NVME dissector, I have encountered many repeated patterns of 16-byte integers.

I would like to add a 16-byte integer format, to avoid decoding these many fields with custom functions.

Has it been considered before?  Will such change be accepted or it is utterly opposed on some grounds?

If such change is OK, can someone comment on implementation ideas?

Not every OS has integer type for 128-bit, and I am not aware of format modifier, either.

There are two repeated patterns for this:

1. For capacity (bytes, blocks, etc.).
2. For units (how many times).

So, I am thinking about two formats:
1. For bytes.
2. For units.

The implementation would get high and low 64-bits, and compute a 64-bit value in units of 10^x (depending on the value) for units, and in units of KiB-ZiB (depending on the value) for bytes.

Constantine Gavrilov
Storage Architect
Master Inventor
Tel-Aviv Storage Lab IDT Lead