Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Improvments for NVMeOF dissector

From: Pascal Quantin <pascal@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 21 Mar 2021 12:55:25 +0000 (UTC)
Hi Constantine,

21 mars 2021 13:40:22 Constantine Gavrilov <CONSTG@xxxxxxxxxx>:

> Pascal, thank you for your answer.
>
> What would be a reasonable time to wait? A week, two weeks, a month? Long review times a problem by themselves, since I cannot move ahead. But it is not even a problem of waiting as much, as it is a problem of communication loss. Dropping a line " will review it within 3 weeks" or "cannot handle it, too busy" "or will review later" is far less problematic then ignoring the question "can you review it, please?"

Come on, it has been two days, including the weekend. I hardly see where there is a communication issue here, simply people that do not spend all their time behind their computer screen. To be honest I would have better understood your push if it had been a full week without any feedback, but not after one day (long review time? That's really what you are thinking?).  I see some other open source projects where the submitted patches do not get any attention during weeks. We could definitely do better, but I do not think we are the worst.

> I have nothing personal to gain from this. It is true that I am using wireshark for my work on NVMEoF, but if I cannot interest the community with this work, I can fork the tree locally and continue without submitting the changes. Doing this for community was an act of contibution and a hard work, but I will not impose if there is no cooperation. As I have said, I do not think recognition. If there is an interest and someone will come up to reveiew the changes, than I continue to contibute. If the attitude is "do not bother us", why should I care?

We appreciate your contribution, and if you think this is not the case please give some examples. I'm just reminding you (as Anders did already) that we are volonteersand not paid for the time we spend on the project, and that we also have a professional and personal life that have their own constraints, and priority over the Wireshark project. Having a few days delay is not the end of the world, fortunately.

Best regards,
Pascal.