Wireshark-dev: [Wireshark-dev] Improvments for NVMeOF dissector

From: "Constantine Gavrilov" <CONSTG@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 21 Mar 2021 11:46:52 +0200
Sometime ago, I started to work on NVMEoF dissector. I have already contributed the number of fixes and improvements and they have already been merged.

My goal is to have a full dissection for connection establishment, management and IO flow, and I would like to move on quickly.

The goal is to contribute back to the community. I am not seeking recognition -- I have plenty of that in my place of work. The goal is to help and express my gratitude to the project.

After initial changes merged, I am stuck at getting my current merge request (#17282)reviewed. I understand that this is a volunteer project and all people are busy. But I do have a problem with broken line of communication. My personal opinion is that if a core developer "picks up" the merge request and has review comments, they shall follow up on the requested changes that a contributor has provided. If they loose focus or interest, they shall inform the contributor, instead of just "disappearing".  As a contributor,  I can control any form of merge request assignment or have control over who will look at the merge request.

The fact that people are busy goes both ways -- for contributors as well as core developers. I am looking into improving my contribution experience for NVMEoF. Perhaps there is a core developer who is willing to look at the changes and has sufficient interest and available time to work with me on reviewing NVMEoF dissector changes? As it stands now, I feel blocked from contributing (just because the speed of the review and people dropping off). I am busy and will eventually have hard choices to make...

Perhaps I can get approval to join core developers?

Constantine Gavrilov
Storage Architect
Master Inventor
Tel-Aviv Storage Lab IDT Lead