Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Struggling to rebase

From: Jano Svitok <jan.svitok@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 5 Mar 2021 12:51:28 +0100
I've a deeper look at your repo.
I suppose upstream remote is main wireshark repo, downstream is your own fork.

1. your downstream master is no aligned with upstream. if it is not intentional, you may start with fixing that.
   if it is indeed intentional, you may consider keeping your changes in a different-named branch and continue with the recipe :)

1.1 add remote to your local git repo (on your harddisk):
   git remote add upstream https://gitlab.com/wireshark/wireshark.git

1.2 get sources from upstream:
   git fetch --all

1.3 align local master with downstream master:
  git pull --rebase downstream master     if you have master checked out
  or
  git fetch downstream master:master    if you have another branch checked out

1.4 now align upstream and downstream
1.4.1 if you have checked out master
1.4.1.1 and master is clean:
   git pull --rebase upstream master
   git push downstream master

1.4.1.2 in your case, the first step fails, because your downstream master has some differences to upstream and they cause conflicts.
1.4.1.2.1 you can either forget them, and set your downstream master to upstream:
  git reset --hard upstream/master
  git push downstream --force
1.4.1.2.2 or store the differences somewhere
1.4.1.2.3 or use another branch to track upstream/master

1.4.2 if you have checked out another branch (e.g. issuexxxx):
1.4.2.1 if downstream/master is clean:
    git fetch upstream master:master
    git push downstream master
1.4.2.1 if downstream/master has additional stuff (will be lost):
    git fetch upstream master:master --force
    git push downstream master --force

2. now do rebase on your local master:
I see there some merge commits, it would be good if they somehow get lost along the way :)

git checkout issue17235
git rebase master
git push downstream --force-with-lease

Jano