Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] File rename impacts Gitlab history

From: João Valverde <joao.valverde@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 26 Feb 2021 17:15:19 +0000

On 26/02/21 16:48, chuck c wrote:
Rename packet-ssl* to packet-tls*

Looking through history of

 "epan/dissectors/packet-tls.c" did not exist on "2fd42045f5afb556a03d8a1090f3278c77798766"

Is there any sort of work around (symbolic link?) that could be tracked in Git?
It now changes from "Browse File" to "Browse Directory" to look at earlier versions.

This is probably just a quirk of Gitlab's UI. It doesn't handle renames that smartly.

The answer to your question is to use "git log --follow" (which is what Gitlab is doing underneath).

thanks
chuckc