Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] pcapng decoding error when preamble is shortened

From: Timmy Brolin <tib@xxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 16 Feb 2021 12:03:24 +0000
> Section 12.9.2 "DTE timing" of IEEE Std 802.3-2018 says:
>	DTEs shall correctly receive frames that are preceded by 13 or more bits of preamble plus 8 bits of <sfd>.
> which I assume means that, on the *receiving* end, if you miss up to 43 bits of the 56-bit preamble - or up to 35 bits of the 48-bit preamble in some mPackets - once you're synced up, and see the SFD, you should continue the reception process and hand what you have up to the MAC sublayer.

Exactly.

> Once frame preemption is introduced, the packet capture can be at various layers:
>	3) at the Reconciliation Sublayer, in which case they get bit streams for packets, again including the preamble and SFD.
> To get mPackets, the tap would, I think, have to be at 3).
>
> That means that, if the *received* preamble can be as little as 13 bits, the mPacket could have as few as 13 bits of preamble, meaning that neatly aligning the packet for dissection could involve a lot of bit shifting.
> Is that what you're proposing?

Yes. mPackets require hardware capture at the Reconciliation Sublayer (or lower).
The Reconciliation Sublayer is however not really a bit stream. It typically receives a stream of 4bit nibbles over the MII or RGMII interface from the PHY layer.

The only Ethernet standard which actually encodes bits individually is 10Mbit Ethernet. And the 10Mbit Ethernet standard requires the PHY layer to align the incoming preamble bits to a 4 bit boundary before it is sent via MII/RGMII to the Reconciliation Sublayer.

100Mbit Ethernet encodes bits in groups of 4. So it can never have a alignment problem lower than 4 bits.

Gigabit Ethernet and higher encodes bits in groups of 8, so they never have any alignment problems.

In practice, this is what I would propose:
* Wireshark dissector made capable of accepting any whole-byte preamble length mPackets.
* mPacket capture devices are made responsible for detecting any frames with non-integer preamble, and correct for it by adding 4 bits extra preamble at the beginning. That way the dissector never has to realign a whole frame on bit level.
* A capture device which has added 4 bits of preamble, shall indicate this by setting the “unaligned frame error” bit in epb_flags, to let the dissector know that it should ignore the least significant nibble of the first preamble byte.

While a mPacket with 4 bits of missing preamble is not actually an error, I can think of no other meaningful use for the “unaligned frame error” bit in epb_flags for mPackets. So it should be ok to make use of it for this purpose? Maybe?
Unless the “unaligned frame error” is actually intended to indicate “dribble error”? (An extra 4 bit nibble at the end of a frame)
But dribble error is not a alignment problem, so I doubt that is the intention.

All-in-all this would allow for true display of mPackets as seen on the wire, and avoid the need for bitshifting in the dissector.

While it is possible for 10Mbit Ethernet to have preamble unalignment down to the 2-bit level, and my proposal of using just one bit in epb_flags can only indicate 4 bit unalignment. But in practice, 2-bit unalignment is not even sent up to the Reconciliation layer. So it is difficult to capture regardless. 1 bit unalignment can not really occur, due to the preamble bit pattern.

Allowing for 2-bit unalignment indication would require defining two new bits in EPB. Not sure how difficult that would be?
But I doubt it is worth it in practice.

Regards,
Timmy Brolin