Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Adding personal repository remote

From: Paul Offord <paul.offord58@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 7 Feb 2021 12:41:10 +0000
Thanks Graham,

You are quite right.

Best regards...Paul

On Sun, Feb 7, 2021 at 11:53 AM Graham Bloice <graham.bloice@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On Sun, 7 Feb 2021 at 11:03, Paul Offord <paul.offord58@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi,

I'm following the instructions here - 3.10. Contribute Your Changes (wireshark.org)

There is an instruction to double check my remotes:

$ git remote -v
$ downstream	git@xxxxxxxxxx:henry.perry/wireshark.git (fetch)
$ downstream	git@xxxxxxxxxx:henry.perry/wireshark.git (push)
$ upstream	git@xxxxxxxxxx:wireshark/wireshark.git (fetch)
$ upstream	git@xxxxxxxxxx:wireshark/wireshark.git (push)
But when I run the command I get:

C:\Development\wireshark>git remote -v
downstream      git@xxxxxxxxxx:paul.offord/wireshark.git (fetch)
downstream      git@xxxxxxxxxx:paul.offord/wireshark.git (push)

As you can see, the master name is different.

Is this a problem?

The name given to any remote is just that, a local name to refer to.  Origin is the default if you didn't provide one when cloning the Wireshark repo, presumably you didn't follow the instructions in https://www.wireshark.org/docs/wsdg_html_chunked/ChSrcObtain.html#ChSrcGit closely enough that are (my bold):

3. Next, clone the Wireshark repository:

# If you have a GitLab account, you can use the SSH URL:
$ git clone -o upstream git@xxxxxxxxxx:wireshark/wireshark.git
# If you don't you can use the HTTPS URL:
$ git clone -o upstream https://gitlab.com/wireshark/wireshark.git

The clone only has to be done once. This will copy all the sources (including directories) from the server to your machine and check out the latest version. The -o upstream flag uses the origin name “upstream” for the repository instead of the default “origin” as described in the GitLab documentation. Cloning may take some time depending on the speed of your internet connection.

You can adjust this using git remote:

git remote rename origin upstream

Thanks and regards...Paul

--