Wireshark-dev: [Wireshark-dev] Support for Miwi dissector

From: Peter Lambrechtsen <peter@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 6 Feb 2021 06:38:02 +1300
Hi

I am trying to decode some Miwi traffic which is pseudo Zigbee traffic using a CC2531 as a sniffer but miwi has a different payload after the initial 802.15.4 header.

If I wanted to add support for Miwi I assume modifying the current zigbee dissector and submitting a PR with the new dissector is the best way to go?

Microchip have documented the miwi protocol in a few PDFs but I suspect much of it is proprietary:
And

The zigbee dissector semi-decodes the frames:

image.png

But the payload is:

08 70 00 a6 13 35 00 33 63 03 c5 23 b5 01

The byte is the Frame Control byte with Acknowledgement Request enabled,
Then the second byte is sequence number etc.

image.png
So I suspect the best way to decode the traffic is to either build my own dissector or to export the frames and parse them outside wireshark.

Cheer, Peter