Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] git doesn't like me anymore

From: Dario Lombardo <lomato@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 18 Jan 2021 11:52:18 +0100
Hi Fulko
Git can look really confusing at the beginning especially for people with long time experience on other code revision systems such as SVN (as it was for me).
There are 2 things to take into account.
The first one is git itself. That includes commands such as commit, push, pull, remote etc. That's the most technical part. There are a bunch of online crash courses you can find. I'd suggest code school's. It is short and has 2 parts: basic and advanced. You should watch the videos from both, since advanced is not really out-of-scope.
The second one is the so-called "fork workflow". This is the workflow that is used on github, gitlab, bitbucket and so on that is the popular model in which people fork (aka create a copy) of a public repo, make changes on their repo (so-called downstream) and then request a merge (merge request or pull request) on the original repo (so-called upstream). You can find a bunch of tutorials on this workflow, like https://www.atlassian.com/git/tutorials/comparing-workflows/forking-workflow. This is less technical than the above point but is much more logical: if you don't understand the workflow, you will get lost. If you read a manual of "straight git" you will get lost.
My personal experience: steep learning curve, then a lot satisfactory.
I Hope it helps.
Dario.