Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Software requirements specification

From: Jaap Keuter <jaap.keuter@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 31 Dec 2020 13:37:19 +0100
On 30-12-2020 10:37, Anna Gkika Zosan wrote:
Greetings,

My name is Anna and I am relatively new to open source programming. I’m really interested in writing a SRS about Wireshark. Is there already one or having one is something that could be used?

Thank you in advance

Hello,

Welcome to the world of FOSS. As you may have picked up already FOSS projects can be _very_ different in nature. Some are rather formal, with requirement, architecture and design documentation, while others are just a loose knit group of individuals working toward some (imaginary) ultimate goal. If you want to get a grasp of what the Wireshark project is, have a look at the SharkFest'19 keynote by the project leader Gerald Combs, and friends: https://youtu.be/lAc6DCxdF2o As you may notice from this, the project is not that formal, while it tries to deploy robust software engineering techniques (always room for improvement). Also there's no explicit requirements stated, other than an objective (see if you can find it). In time the program has organically grown to achieve that objective to an ever increasing extend. Still basic requirements could be distilled from the current design. This is not something you usually see, so is this some study assignment to create an SRS?

Thanks,
Jaap