Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Apple M1 transition for Wireshark build process

From: Roland Knall <rknall@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 28 Nov 2020 16:50:44 +0100
There are a few issues with M1 still:

A. Not all supporting libraries can be compiled, especially brew supplied libraries vary deeply.
B. Rosetta and native are nearly par performance wise.
C. Universal binaries would require a real hassle, so I actually would prefer target-specific ones

In summary, if you run M1s run Rosetta2 atm. Binaries will require a few months to be stable. If you want to develop though, that can be done easily, just be aware, that development environment wise you will run into issues. VSCode does not work yet 100%, Qt you must compile yourself, QtCreator does not work at all for me so far, ...

I can give you pointers in the next Dev Den Meeting if you want

Cheers
Roland