Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Indicate [Generated] field on Display Filter Reference page

From: Guy Harris <gharris@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 14 Nov 2020 13:12:56 -0800
On Nov 14, 2020, at 12:28 PM, chuck c <bubbasnmp@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Is the code behind various web pages (dfref, OUI lookup, string-cf, ...) in Gitlab?
>
> Before opening an issue, I thought I would look at how dfref is generated.
> Would be nice to mark/flag fields as being Wireshark generated but maybe not easily done.

A given field could be both generated and not generated - some instances could come from a packet's contents and others could be calculated from other information.

I.e., "generated" is a property of an instance of a field, not of a field; that's why the code sample you showed has a separate call to proto_item_set_generated().

That may not be the case for *all* fields that have generated instances, but there might be some fields that have both generated and non-generated instances.